Exercise: Draw Your Own Map
What geographic information is already in your head?
- Pick a place that's important to you.
- It could be where you live, your school, or another familiar location.
- Grab a piece of paper and take 5 minutes to draw this place.
- Add as much information as you can about this place—colors, explanations, labels and whatever else comes to mind!
How would you tell a computer what you know?
- Now go to OpenStreetMap and find the same location you mapped.
- What is different about how you drew the place and how it's shown on the computer map?
- Is anything missing from either map?
- Which map seems more "accurate" to you?
- How do you think OpenStreetMap stores data associated with what appears on the screen?